Monday, May 23, 2022

Slow to move - scarf finished

MOJO  GONE

I seem to have lost my spunk.  Finished decorating the Patriotic Tree, and made a scarf. It was going to be for myself, but I may give it away at Christmas. A little too much yellow and orange for me. 

I seem to have lost interest in crocheting and tree decorating for now.




DNA

My younger brother and I had our DNA tested a few years ago. They keep updating it to reflect your country of origin!  

Scotland!  We are 47% Scottish, so that finally gives me something to hang my hat on. I've always wanted to have some sort place to call "home" as a family we have never celebrated anything that would reflect a different country. My brother gifted me a Scottish flag, so it hangs under the American flag out front (right now the Texas winds killed the American flag, so nothing is hanging).

I bought him a subscription to a Scottish magazine for his birthday! I wish we lived closer together so that we could do a little more Scottish type things! I had to look that up…I guess in Scotland the preferred usage is Scottish. Scots is the language spoken in English (does THAT make sense??).

Housing

I had great hopes of some day moving back to the PNW…or Idaho, which some people think is in the PNW but is, in reality, a Mountain State. Why, I don't know.

I would even love to be able to move to San Diego. Can't find a two bedroom home in good shape under $600,000.  Wish I kept the house I had owned there. It is getting too expensive to buy a home anywhere desirable there, not to mention the high taxes, electricity, and water. It's bad enough here in Texas (we are, at least, not paying income tax). Moving would cost an arm and a leg.

Real estate fees are outrageous. Especially when you consider the homes are selling like hotcakes and they are making money hand over fist. Put the home in the MLS and the next day it is sold. Nothing to do but sit back and collect $$$.

Then there is the move. It cost $18,000 to move here from Washington state. With gas prices going up, wages going up, etc., it would be more like $28,000. So selling a home & moving would cost approximately $60,000 or more. Homes in Texas have grown in value, but not by THAT much. I would definitely lose money, plus the homes in the other areas are way more expensive.  Those who move here don't think about that….if you don't like it here you may not be able to get out!

All in all it is a decent place to live. The people are nice. The weather has been turbulent this year. Not fun. Home prices have risen, but still not as high as other places. Considering how large the state is there are very few large airports…it's a drive for sure. Health care is fine. I am not thrilled with veterinary care, though. The mentality is more like caring for farm animals than domestic pets.

So the saga goes. Looks like I will have to spend my savings on this place to make it more comfy for me since I'm pretty well going to be living here until…………..














 

No comments:

Post a Comment