Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Afghan join



I have decided not to use the Flat Braid Join as it makes the join and border too holey.  I'm just doing a slip stitch in the BLO which makes a nice ridge. I bordered in VC Terracotta as about 50% of the squares had the color. The only other one that was more was the Kelly Green.  I think the squares look good, but it doesn't translate as well to the "big screen"!  Perhaps once it is all said and done.


How does that look? Below is a look at some of the squares bordered with the Terracotta. 



Once all the squares are joined I will do a nice thick border to make it larger, plus Shar is giving it to her granddaughter or great granddaughter, so will be able to make it more feminine with a nice border by Edie Eckman. She now has two books on the subject! One is Every Which Way Crochet Borders, and the older one is Around the Corner, Crochet Borders. She is the first designer that I know of who designed and graphed and published just how to do a full crochet border.  I know that lots of designer of baby blankets, etc., all have borders in their design, but have never seen one prior to Edie's that gives the crocheter the ability to figure out what border to put on their afghan to match their needs.  

This is the border I think I will use, but perhaps add to it before doing the fancy part so it is pretty wide.  Don't know the colors yet, but it will depend on what I have on hand.


I think I could even add one or two more rows of the design IF I have enough yarn.

I'm having a bit of a problem with my index finger on my right hand. Too much crocheting I suppose, but it is also the one that has bad arthritis and is starting to get noticeably crooked.

TRASH DAY TODAY!

I talked to the contractor today about my driveway and fence.  The fellow who put it in kept talking me out of what I wanted.  If that happens to you, stop the man in his tracks and tell him to quit yapping! So far I have to had to re-do one other thing he changed on me, and now I am re-doing the fence.  It seems men like to do things they way THEY would like it, not the way you would like it.  It has been happening with every project.  Anyway, I am having the fence moved back 10 feet into my yard so the drive will have extra parking out front if needed but mainly so the garbage truck can pick up my trash at my home rather than my having to take it up the block to the main street, or put it on my neighbors pickup on the block over.  I'm excited I won't have to travel around with those heavy cans any longer!  My next door neighbor might be happy in a way as he will not have to take it out to the street any longer either! Well…his teenage son, that is!

LIGHTS, ACTION!

Another project I started is putting up string lights on the back deck to combat my depression…from the darkness during the winter, lots of clouds all the time, & little actual sun.  I will be putting in daylight LED lights so when it is finished the deck will look like it is covered in sun!  From inside it will look bright and cheery, and that should certainly help my attitude. If not, I may have to move again! I plan on adding some silk flowers that can be seen out the window which will add to the cheerful ambiance and overall brightness.

Have a great day!






1 comment:

  1. I have the same problem during the gloomy winter months! I'm hoping spring comes quickly so I can get back to myself.

    I also just posted on my own blog, Kendra's Crocheted Creations, about crafter self-care for aching hands and such. Take a look if you want :-)

    ReplyDelete