Thursday, December 26, 2019

MY LITTLE MERMAID


MERMAID AFGHAN 

My niece mentioned that mermaid afghans for the four children would be appreciated. I wasn't sure that it was something I could pull off with my carpal tunnel, so did quite a bit of searching for patterns. It took me a few weeks to come up with what I wanted to do. I did like the crocodile stitch look best, but since it is a LOT of post stitches, I knew I would be incapacitated after half way with the first one.

I decided to do a stitch I liked well enough, but the pattern had you start at the bottom and go up, which the way I saw it, made the "scales" going up the wrong way.  Plus the pattern did not have a children's size. The next pattern did not have the stitch I liked, but did have a child's size. Didn't like the tail, either.  Then the third one had the crocodile pattern.

After much contemplation I went ahead with starting at the top with the stitch I liked. I wasn't sure about the width, but since it would be open I felt that however large it would be okay as this was a 10 month old and she would not know the difference! LOL!

This is the bottom before I attached the fin/tail.

Then I discovered after all that planning I ended up putting it on wrong. The opening was to be at the back.  I had to search to find the yarn that I had used to attach it to the bottom so I could detach it! Yikes


At the time I started it I had a hard time making the stitch correctly that I liked so well. Eventually I had it figured out so the top portion is a little different, but looks okay. You can see if you click on the photo. The very top rows are in line with the body, but the ones below in blue are not. 

It took some pulling, but yay! I found it yarn that hooked the two together.


Took that baby out and resewed it.


I love the way it turned out….with the exception of some of the top stitching that was an experiment. Still, it's for a baby so will go unnoticed by her. Just have to keep my fingers crossed she can be put in it! Tried to make the bottom portion a little roomier for her toes.



CHRISTMAS IS OVER, BUT HEARTS SHOULD STILL BE EXCITED FOR THE NEW YEAR AND THE PROMISES IT HOLDS!!!   

JOY TO ALL!!

🎉 🎉 🎉



No comments:

Post a Comment