Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Yum, yum, yum!

CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
(My way)



Have you ever tried a butternut squash soup recipe?  My lovely step-daughter makes it from scratch.  It's wonderful! BUT - I am not a scratch type person, so I looked for an easier way to make it.

I found a box of Pacific organic creamy butternut squash soup (yes that is the whole name, and not capitalized on the box just that way).

It makes about three bowls of soup for me.  I don't measure so perhaps you should do so to your own tastes.  I put in "about" two teaspoons of Hot Madras Curry Powder  (it's hotter and tastier - I find the more I make the soup the more curry I can use).  

If I don't have any pears or applesauce to whip in there (use a blender on the pears) then I add a half cup of apple cider or a tablespoon of sugar.  It cuts the heat and cuts the dull taste of the curry. The "real recipe" calls for pureed apples or pears.

I'll vary the combination from here. Most times I use a teaspoon of onion powder, sometimes some garlic powder, and I use Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt as it has it's own seasonings. I just sprinkle to taste.

If I have coconut milk, I will add that. If I don't, then I will add some coconut oil.  When you stir it up it will emulsify and you get just a hint of coconut.

Sprinkle some cilantro on top, and if you don't have any fresh, then add some dried to the soup while you heat it up! Still yummy!

There are times I find crisp bacon crumbled on top is great, or if I have made it too spicy hot, I can add some sour cream or sweet cornbread croutons.

Sorry…no photos, but will add some when I make it tonight! ETA: Photo and corrections to ingredient names added! Enjoy!

Happy Eating!

YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment