Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Friendships

Good Morning!

This year is one in which I find myself bouncing between stress, worry, and thankfulness. I was reading on another blog about the importance of counting your blessings. So I think I shall do just that.

Friends

Can't count them enough!  I remember living in the Atlanta area and just how my friends grew to be like sisters.  Now I only have occasional contact with one of them...we grew apart after almost 30 years of separation.  Yet, I have a friend in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California who has been my good friend since I was 12 years old.  We may not talk all the time, or email all the time, but we do keep in contact, share our pains and joys, and we do see one another every few years.  That is nearly 54 years of friendship ... more than most marriages. 

So here is something you can keep going and sharing with your dearest and farthest friends. It was given to me many years ago by one of my long lost friends in Atlanta.

Friendship Cake 

Starter Batter:

One cup each:  Flour, Milk, Sugar

Instructions:

Day   1:  Stir batter, cover and keep on counter where it isn't drafty or cold
Day   2:  Stir
Day   3:  Stir
Day   4:  Stir
Day   5:  Put starter in larger bowl.  Add 1 cup each of the sugar, milk and flour. Stir, cover
Day   6:  Stir
Day   7:  Stir
Day   8:  Stir
Day   9:  Add  1 cup each, milk, flour, and sugar
Day 10:  Take 2 cups of batter and give 1 cup each to 2 friends with a copy of the recipe. Keep one cup off to side to use for starter for your next cake.

To remaining batter add:

2/3 cups oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp soda
2 tsp vanilla
(you can use any flavorings you want if you want to experiment)


Fold in any of the following, or use your imagination:
Dates, diced apples, bananas, nuts, shredded carrots, chocolate chips, dried fruit.

Bake in a floured tube pan or 2 loaf pans at 350 degrees for 40 to 60 minutes.  Sometimes 325 degrees is sufficient. You might want to experiment on that, too.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment