Thursday, February 15, 2018

Chevron Scarf for Valentine's!

💓

So, I have been working on a scarf with RED in it to go with some of my outfits.  I added PINK and GREY and a deeper CRANBERRY red to mix things up.  Chevron, of course.  While watching TV and worrying about my dog, I sit on the couch to crochet.

I don't remember if I posted the first photo or not, but it shows the colors a little more true to my way of thinking. You can never tell these days with the computer screens.


I have about four more rows and then will hook it together. I tend to wear the infinity scarves more often as they stay on, and stay in place. You can wrap them or not, and that makes them versatile.


My problem is going to be the area when I began the scarf. It doesn't match the rest, so will need to take out all the red and the two rows of pink, then join it.  I saw a pattern where the designer used a knitting method of starting a pattern to then join it in the round when your are finished.  I'm going to need to cut the scarf before the new "first" row, and see if I can do the join from that pattern…once I find it!  
Someone asked me about the chevron. It is the same one I use in almost all my scarves.  I don't count out how many chains to use…when I get the amount of chevrons I want I go back and cut the chains off and weaving the end.  

I just chain what I think I will need plus a "bunch" more. That way I can decide as I crochet exactly how wide I want the scarf.  Yarns are different, and I never know what hook I will use.  

In my pattern I just turn at the end of the chain, chain one, single in the first chain and then in 
next four.  According to the pattern I want I either sc 3 in the next chain or sc/ch2/sc.  Either of these will work for the top of the chevron.

Then I just sc down four chains, sk 2ch, sc "up" the other side 4 times. That's the gist of it.  When you are ending your row, try to do it on the down slope…and then you will sc5 times down the side.

Turning you will sc in the first stitch, skip 1 sc and sc in the next stitch (this is a one stitch decrease). You just sc three more times (5 stitches on that side always), then do the peak with whichever increase you chose.

The valley's will always be the 4sc, sk2, 4sc to the peak.

The deal is you are adding two stitches (one each side of the peak)  and at the bottoming the valley you are decreasing two stitches, so it always looks the same.
You can have 6 or 8 or whatever you want, for each side which will decide just how large you want the scarf to be.

I don't explain well, so if you have a question let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment