Wednesday, March 30, 2011

One Thing After Another....

...to steal a bit of a phrase from my BFF.

This past week has been hectic.  My DFIL (the father of my husband's first wife) fell and broke his hip. He is 94 and a rare bird to say the least. Very bright and articulate, and most times quite a grumpy fellow. His daughter passed away in June of 2002 and his wife passed away in September that same year. He is fairly angry that he, the ornery one in the family, is still here when the rest of his family members, sans four of his children, are already waiting on the other side for him.

Well, I figured he was a goner for sure but he came through the hip replacement with flying colors. As long as he is on drugs he seems to be a pretty happy and gregarious fellow, too!

This incident has taken its toll on him, but hubby and I have visited him every day to the point of wearing out - so now he and I are trading off every other day. We take him goodies, or items he needs, pick up his mail and deliver it, intervene when necessary, etc. - and at least he isn't into long visits so we are able to have time in the day for ourselves.

Don't get me wrong. I am delighted to be able to see him heal, to be able to make him smile, and to bring whatever love and brightness I can into his life. It is just that it has been time consuming and I haven't attended to as much as I would like.  


We just had his oldest son and his now only daughter visit us a week or so ago, so I am thankful they were able to be with him when he was healthier and could get out and about. He did fall again when he decided he could get out of bed on his own, but thankfully he did not hurt himself and seems to realize THAT isn't a good idea right now.

So - when you have a moment say a prayer for Dick that he will be at peace with his world, will heal quickly, and go back to his abode contently. I do love him so. My dad passed away when he was 51 and I turned 18. My mom, who would have been the same age as Dick, passed away when I was 41 (many, many moons ago). Having Dick around has been a real blessing to share his thoughts and memories of the years my parents would have shared with him in space and time.

Count your blessings.....

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful background! I absolutely love it. It is so fitting for you.

    I'll say a prayer for Dick. It's so hard to see them get older and even harder to know that they really don't want to be here any longer. What can you do but try and make their lives a bit brighter. You're a sweetheart for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky he is to be able to live a healthy, active life. His healing will be in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete